No need for an intro today – let’s get stuck in. The only thing I will say is that unlike most people who bind everything using 0-9, I’ve never understood this – isn’t it much easier to use the keys where your left hand naturally is anyway, such as F and E? Hence my apparently strange layout.
Yellow – Movement:
- The standard WASD for movement, although A and D here are strafe left and right respectively, and not turn, because keyboard turning is for failures.
Green – Modifiers:
- Shift and Alt are the two modifier keys I use (modifier keys are those which change the function of another key when held down, e.g. F is Attack 1 and Shift-F is Attack 2). I don’t use Ctrl because frankly it’s hard to reach – you have to swivel your hand round – and that’s both uncomfortable and unwieldy.
Red – Attacks:
- F is my most-used spells, due to its easy accessibility. This means Shadow Bolt, Incinerate and Soul Fire, by using modifiers.
- E is both my panic buttons and my main AoE spell, because if you hold down Alt, it’s like pressing A+E… AoE… Never mind. Here I have Rain of Fire, and Healthstone is bound to this too, because it’s a good key to spam in an emergency. Similarly, Every Man For Himself (the human racial which is like a PvP trinket) is here.
- Q tends to be what I call my ‘QQ buttons’. Geddit? Anyway. So I have Fear, Howl of Terror and Death Coil here.
- C is a bit of an all-rounder. This is Demonic Power with C, Metamorphosis with Alt-C and the character UI with Shift-C.
- X is my curse button. Immolate, Curse of Agony and Corruption.
- Z is the hardest to reach, so I have less-frequently used abilities on here, namely Life Tap, Summon Demonic Circle and Immolation Aura (for use in demon form).
- As mentioned, I don’t believe in using all the numbers, but 1-4 is near enough that my extremely infrequently used abilities can be bound, sometimes. Mainly, these are Demon Armor and Wand.
- 0, – and = are strange ones, and I have Drain Mana, Life and Soul on these. I don’t know why, at all, it’s just right for me. But I rarely use the abilities, so having them on the other side of the keyboard doesn’t matter.
Pink – Miscellaneous:
- The grave accent ( ` ) up above Tab is my push-to-talk key for Vent.
- R will reply to whispers, but with modifiers it will also Shadowflame or Searing Pain.
- G sets my focus target.
- V toggles nameplates, which I only use in PvP, but having it bound to a key (which I think is the default anyway) is handy.
- Space is, of course, jump, but Shift-Space will also Teleport Demonic Circle.
- The arrow keys. No longer shall I move with you! Up now resets Recount, while Right will toggle it (show or hide). Left toggles the currency screen (what can I say, I had use for it once) and Down toggles Omen.
As well as all the above, I do have a ‘ \ ‘ key between Shift and Z, which isn’t featured on the picture. This sends my pet to attack, or, if modified, summons either my land or air mount.
How do you keybind? I’d be interested to hear other points of view. Anyway, I hope you found this series of guides on addons, the UI and keybindings useful; it’s something I’ve meant to do for a long time!
See you tomorrow,